Tuesday, August 12, 2008

A Little Process



In a halfhearted effort to answer those who asked that I demonstrate my process here are roughs for the two pieces posted down the page.

They were done digitally in low res on a Cintiq tablet. I printed them out to the size of the illustrations, then roughly transferred the sketches to the final board loosely by flipping them like animation paper and roughing out the paintings with a blue Colorase and then black Prismacolor. I did a little clean-up to the line drawing but worked from a fairly loose sketch for both.

High school "art" coming next! BEWARE!

--Starchie

6 comments:

Vujovic said...

Cool, progression. I always wondered how you go about doing a painting. Is this a technique you use often or did you start using it recently?

Starchie Spudnoggen said...

vujovic --
I always start with some kind of sketch. The tablet makes it easier to block in tones and rough color in a quick way.
For me the painting always tends to take on a life of it's own so whatever my good intentions from the sketch the painting rarely matches it.

Anonymous said...

Filling with inspiration

Vujovic said...

Thanks for the info. I've never had any schooling on painting, so I've had to figure everything out on my own. Thanks for sharing knowledge.

Javi Recio said...

it's nice to know that even the biggest artist use the computer it in his work. It's funny, my process is absolutly inverse, i just started in paper and finished in computer ...

Thanks for the lessons Steve

Hethe Srodawa said...

You're such a pro. Dang. Good to see you at con! I'm like a giggly school girl when I spot your straw hat from afar.